About Women's Leadership Program
Women Leadership Program
Australia Awards Mongolia (the Program) supports alumni by providing networking and other professional development activities. Internal research indicated that women alumni face different challenges from men in fully utilising their new skills including specific challenges in relation to promotion to leadership positions. Broader data on women’s leadership in Mongolia show that, despite more women completing tertiary education than men, there are very few women in senior leadership and decision-making positions relative to the numbers of women in the workforce.
In an effort to improve the number of women promoted to senior leadership and decision-making positions after completing their Award, the Program design included funding for a specific initiative to foster access for women to senior leadership positions.
The Program undertook a design exercise to develop WLP in consultation with male and female alumni. Consultations were also held with key women leaders in government, NGOs and private sector, other donors, training organisations and other key stakeholders. The design drew on existing research and knowledge about women and leadership in development and the experience of women’s leadership development in Mongolia and other DFAT programs in Africa, the Pacific and Indonesia.
Women Leadership Program overview
The Women Leadership Program (WLP) will provide leadership and development opportunities for up to 20 female and male alumni between October 2016 – June 2017.
The WLP will contribute to the Program alumni’s leadership and professional development in ways that support the overall goal and objectives of the Australia Awards Mongolia. It will:
- Increase the leadership and decision making skills of male and female alumni.
- Support male and female alumni to gain a broader and deeper knowledge of issues that are important to the future of Mongolia.
- Support male and female alumni to improve their opportunities to contribute to and influence the future of Mongolian society.
- Support male and female alumni to establish and develop expanded and diversified personal and professional networks.
- Support male and female alumni to develop links between Australia and Mongolia.
- Support male and female alumni to gain a deeper understanding of gender equality, particularly as it relates to leadership.
WLP will improve women’s equality of opportunity for leadership by involving men and women.